Sunday, June 8, 2014

Bahamas June 2014

Ryan and I were able to sneak away this week for a much needed vacation.  Ryan's mom, Rhonda, was a lifesaver and flew to SA to watch the kids for us.  They affectionately call her Guh Goh and was so excited she came to visit! This is right before we left to go to the airport. 
 Made it to the Bahamas (after having a 35 minute layover in Atlanta and running through the airport to make our connecting flight ... by  minutes!).   Crazy how much different (but still boring and long) flights are when you do not have kids with you.  We made it Monday evening, dropped off our bags at the hotel, and went exploring. We walked quite a ways from our hotel and made our way across the big bridge to the famous Atlantis hotel.  It was s pretty view from the bridge!

 Tuesday morning we went back to Atlantis (by taxi this time!) to go to swimming at the water park.  They make you pay a pretty penny to spend a day there, but we REALLY had a fun time going down the slides! Ryan and I are both kids that way - we love water parks! Atlantis reminds me of the hotels you would find in Las Vegas - very showy, has a casino, lots of expensive shops, etc.
 We loved their aquariums and different sea animal displays around.  This little pool had some star fish you were able to hold.
 The jellyfish tank was really cool.
 We also thought these sawfish were pretty cool.  Neither of us had seen one in person before.
Onto watersliding!  Ryan and I got their right after it opened so we were able to do all of the slides a few times before the lines got too long.  One of our favorite rides was a tube ride that ended going through a tube with a shark and fish tank around you.  The pictures didn't turn out amazing, but that is me in the tube, and proof that there were sharks just inches away. 
 So apparently that "bridge" above us connecting two of the Atlantis hotel towers is a suite that can be rented out.  Only $25,000 a night - one of the most expensive hotel rooms you can rent (anywhere)
 Ryan flying down the 'Abyss' slide. He was the only one who went fast enough to spray me and the camera as I stood watching. (btw, I did ride this slide - it just hurt my back a little and didn't care for it ... I prefer the tube rides!) One last note - the lazy river at Atlantis is awesome!  It has some rapids and small waterfalls in areas - best "lazy" river I have been on.
 Another fun statue that decorated Atlantis.  I guess this one was made 1.5 years ago for a New Years celebration.
 We grabbed dinner at Senior Frogs.  It had a pretty ocean view, but we weren't impressed with the food or the service.  I think all the crazy people in the bar area were loving it though!

 Wednesday we went on the "Sandy Toes" excursion. We went out on a boat to a private island for snorkeling, food, and fun.
 Saw this pretty lighthouse on the boat ride to Rose Island.
 The boat ride was about 30 minutes long, which wasn't too bad.  The guide pointed out some famous celebrity houses (Oprah, Tiger Woods, Mary Kay, etc.) along the way, which was pretty neat!

 The ocean water was such a pretty color

 Ryan and I went exploring and found this shipwrecked and sand-filled boat.  This is Ryan's first experience being the captain.
 We found a large piece of brain coral.
 So punny - a picture of my sandy toes at the sandy toe trip.

 The snorkeling was fun, but nothing compared to shark's cove in Hawaii.  Ryan's recently broken foot was also not the funnest to snorkel with I am sure.
 Leaving the island.
 Thursday we went exploring in town and did some shopping.  We walked to this neat tourist site called the queen's staircase.  Back in the 1700's, it took 600 slaves 16 years to dig out this amazing walkway and staircase.  
I am 80% through the walkway - see how steep those walls are.  That is a WHOLE LOT of digging!
 At the top there were these beautiful red trees.  I spotted them other places on the island and wanted a photo with them.
 At the top of the staircase was there was Fort Fincastle - a small castle that marks the highest point on the island.

 After walking around and shopping, we went back to the hotel to relax by the pool.  This was the lobby of our hotel (British Colonial Hilton).  I thought it was very pretty!

 The view of the hotels grounds from the 6th floor.

 View from the pool.
 Lounging at the pool.  I wish I would have gone to the hotel's private beach (right behind the pool) but was just too tired and wanted to relax.
 Thursday evening, we got dressed up and ate a fancy and delicious dinner at one of the hotel restaurants.
 Love you hunny!  Thanks for a fun trip!

 Friday morning, we went to our regular breakfast spot.  It was right across the street from our hotel, and lets be honest, McDonald's pancakes are yummy!
We had a couple of hours before we had to go to the airport, so we walked around the main action street (Bay Street).  I guess June 6th in the Bahamas is a their Labor Day holiday, so the pirate museum I wanted to visit was closed :(
 They did have a parade (or multiple parades, or the same parade going back and forth - we couldn't quite tell) in the morning, so it was a neat way to end the trip.

 The tour company who was supposed to take us to the airport didn't show up, so we quickly jumped in a taxi before the next parade went by and headed to the airport.
 It was fun seeing the kids after 4.5 days apart.  This trip was the first time we have ever left them to be babysat by someone for longer than 6 hours or so.  It's a great thing they had such a good Babysitter!
 Jaxson sporting his Bahamas shirt we brought him - "sharks of the world"
 Avery wouldn't sit still to show off her Bahamas shirt.
 A HUGE thanks to Guh Goh for watching Jaxson and Avery.  They had such a great time and we appreciate you coming and helping us out.  Love ya!

3 comments:

Kamry Low said...

I'm so excited you guys got to go on vacation. Looked like a ton of fun! Get to see you guys soon yay!

Erika said...

Looked like a great trip! Loved all the pictures! Glad y'all had a nice vacation and were able to relax.

Amelia said...

Looks like you guys had fun and got a tan...wait you probably already have that. It looks SO beautiful there! I want to go!! was 4.5 days enough?