Monday, April 18, 2011

My Half Marathon

I did it! On Saturday, I finished my first half marathon! Me and 2 of my friends have been training since January to run this race. I am still on that "runners high" after completing the race and I feel great (minus a little soreness in my quads and knees). If you would have asked me a year ago if I could ever run a half marathon (or wanted to for that matter) I would have said no. Prior to training, the most I had jogged at one time was 5 miles. But I did 13.1 miles (minus a quick potty pit stop) non-stop! Anyway, if you can't tell, I am proud of myself for accomplishing this goal. I felt like it gave me a really good goal to work towards and it kept me in good shape -- now I just gotta try and keep in that good of shape! Me and Emily- at mile 10. Me crossing the finish. 1:54:17

I was happy b/c even though I had a hip cramp, I had enough energy at the end to "sprint" (well, you know just jogging faster than I had all race)
Emily, Lindsey, and I. Thanks for training and the awesome race - it was fun doing it with you girls!!
I couldn't decide between lots of the pics, and because I am just happy about the race right now, I thought I would tortue you with all of them :)
Yup, I do feel like a giant next to them.

Putting "arnica" gel on our knees/calves. Jaxson's pediatrition recommended it to me. Not quite sure if I think it does anything or not...
We got these "Z" neclaces (stands for ZOOMA, which is the 1/2 marathon we did) and I spent about 20 minutes trying to untangle the dang thing. wasn't successful either.
Ryan was kind and took some pics of me when I got home.

My attempt to make Ryan laugh. My version of the Haka

5 comments:

janica said...

Good JOb!!! I didn't think I would ever want to run a marathon, but just looking at these pics makes me want to!!

Emily W said...

Awesome job, Joanie! That is a great time! And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who looks like a giant next to my friends! :) Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Such a good feeling after finishing! You look amazing!

kimmalee said...

Congrats babe! That's super exciting! I'm so excited for you. You did awesome, so much faster than me. Isn't it the best feeling? Are you going to train for another one or take a break?

Amelia said...

Hey miss skinny toned woman! Way to go! You are my idol. You made it sound and look amazing! But the most I've ever run is 3 miles I think...